Friday, March 27, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread - the orginal chain letter

Amish Friendship Bread is truly the gift that keeps giving. You get it from a friend, baby it for 10 days, make bread for yourself and then give the starter to other friends (3 or 4 I can't remember). There is also a starter for you to keep. So hypothetically this process could go on forever. Nine days ago we were the recipients of a starter. It came from G's work. I don't have a great track record when it comes to cooking especially not something as needy as Friendship Bread. The last time I got it I gave it my best effort. It made it until day 9. That night, the day before getting to bake it, it fell of the counter. It was a horrible and messy death. It was so disappointed and on top of that I had to clean up the mess. So here we are on day 9. This time the starter bag in on the counter, but in a bowl. G has been in charge of it. I have heard rumors of an office pool as to whether the bread makes it. I'm thinking that there must be some truth to the office pool because one of G's coworkers call us at home one day to remind us that it was the day to add stuff to the starter. Hopefully tomorrow I will have pictures to post of our beautiful friendship bread.

Anyone else have Friendship Bread experiences? Push the comment bottom and share.

2 comments:

John said...

My mom used to make that stuff, but she always gave the finished bread away, not the starter stuff.

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

Love friendship bread. I'll take a start assuming it makes it:)