Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Cost to Benefit ratio Analysis

If you read my last post you saw all the freebies I racked up on today. Now I'm going to figure out if all the driving around was worth the freebies I received. Back in May I posted my opinion about Freebies not really being free.



If today were a normal Tuesday plus a simple trip to the polls I would have driven from home to the polling place to Bible Study to the Mall and back home.



Today my trip looks like this: Home - Polling place -Starbucks - Krispy Kreme - Bible Study - Mall - Home - Ben and Jerry's - Home.



I calculated that I added an extra 24 miles to get all my freebies. 24 miles is a little over a tank of gas in my car. The cost of gas today is $1.99



Freebies:

$2.75 Starbucks coffee + child hot cocoa

$ .89 Krispy Kreme Donut

$2.79 Chick-fil-a - sandwich

$1.49 Starbucks coffee

$5.38 Ben and Jerry's ice cream

--------------------------------------

$13.30 Total



Total - gas = net benefit

$13.30 - $2.25 = $11.05



Of all these I think that Krispy Kreme was probably the least cost efficient because I went out of my way to get a freebie that was worth less than $1. Ben and Jerry's was the best deal of the day. In the over all scheme of things I definitely came out on top today.


note: I didn't include Gordon in my analysis. He benefited from all but the Krispy Kreme, but twice he was driving a separate car so I didn't want to complicate this any further.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Ahem, I think you meant "a little over a gallon of gas" instead of the "a little over a tank of gas" you wrote. At least I hope you did.

It was fun having lunch and playtime with y'all.

(hugs)

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

Nice work:)